The History of the Chancellor Hotel
The Chancellor Hotel on Union Square
"Where the Cable Car stops at your doorstep"
For over 100 years, the Chancellor Hotel has been a fixture on Union Square. Built for the Panama Pacific International Exposition of 1915, it was the tallest building in San Francisco when it opened for business in 1914.
With the memories of the great earthquake of 1906 fresh in everyone's mind, the hotel was built to withstand the greatest quake and would be advertised as "Virtually fire proof". Unfortunately, the contractor went broke re-enforcing the building to exceed the constant enhancements of the new building codes that were being written, and three years after opening, had to sell the hotel.
That's where Isador Rosenberg comes in. He saw the hotel as a great opportunity and convinced A.P. Giannini at the Bank of Italy (now Bank of America) that he could make it work. He put together a creative deal and the bank accepted. The hotel has been owned and operated by the family ever since.
Today, the Chancellor Hotel is one of the few family owned and operated hotels in San Francisco. Managed by the grandchildren of Isador, they oversee the daily operations. Their highest priority is maintaining the same tradition, service and value that made the Chancellor Hotel on Union Square the landmark that it is today.